I currently own a 8 Gig drive which is quite a storage for my usual file sharing activity with friends. But at the market as I write this, Upto 256 GB Thumb drive is also available. Now the question is why call it Thumbnail? Well that was my quesiton too when I heard it for the first time. Here's the story for those who would like to read on funny side of my encounter with 'thumnail' :)
As I was at my Sister's house late in the eve of the weekend, they were in mood of watching some movie. And since I used to download movies, they asked me to copy some for them. Sis asked whether I have got a thumbnail to copy. With perplexed look I asked whats this Thumbnail? Have never heard of refering thumbnail as in the way icons are displayed on OS (operating System) as I know it, outside the system! Then she told me that the thumbnail refers to a pen drive :)) And she got know about it when her MD (Managing Director) asked her to get thumbnail. She was unaware of it until she politely had asked her Senior to get one thumbnail when the senior had replied 'My pen drive is at home' :)
I was wondering why on earth would people like to refer a pen drive (as most of us call it) as thumbnail!! Is it coz its size of a thumb? or plug it with a thumb? I dont really know :) Anyways better to know some lame words/jargons than looking stupid. So thats the thumbnail for you!
No comments:
Post a Comment